Saturday 26 July 2014

Complaint to Australia Post - me

After yesterdays bullshit episode at Australia Post, I have sent this online complaint to them through their complaints service. They say on their site that the compliants will be resolved withing 10 working days (gee that sounds familiar doesn't it). Here is what I sent 
Hi,

I have a complaint about the treatment I received yesterday at Sydney's Kingsford Post Office.

My partner and I are currently in financial crisis, waiting for a birth certificate to come by registered mail (coded from births deaths and marriages as _____) for Centrelink ID. I dunno what is happening here, but it's now been a full month with the birth certificate and it still hasn't arrived despite being ordered urgently and supposed to be done in ten days. We have all the Centrelink forms ready to go now for two weeks. The last thing we need is the cert for ID before we can apply for anything. My partner has been on the phone constantly to them, most of the time unable to get through and they will ring back after he leaves a message. We are absolutely desperate for money right now and are facing possible homelessness. The rent is currently being paid with the assistance of the credit card. So this cert being two weeks late is having a huge impact on us.

Yesterday my partner manned the phone at home to do the trying to get through to Births Deaths and Marriages thing, and I offered to go check at the Post Office to see if it was maybe there. Upon arriving at the Post Office I talked to an older guy behind the counter who behaved atrociously, causing me to leave after the conversation close to tears at his attitude and attack on me. The conversation at the counter went something like this:


Him: Did you ring Births Deaths and Marriages?
Me: Yes. We couldn't get through.
Him: I'm sure if you rung now you could get through.
Me: no, we've been ringing.
Him: I'm sure if I rang right now I'd get through. People have to help themselves.
Me: Excuse me, don't patronise me.

He goes out the back for a bit and comes back saying the letter's not there.

Me: OK. Well there's another question I'd like to ask. Births Deaths and Marriages said they sent a letter out two weeks ago, why did you send it back?
Him: We don't know if the address was wrong.
Me: Yes we do because we've been on the phone to Births Deaths and Marriages after the letter was sent back, double checking the address, which was all correct.
Him: You need to get the tracing number off the original letter for us to help you.
Me: How can I do that? You sent it back.
Him: I'll tell you what to do (and gets out bit of paper)
Me: Yes! Tell me what to do! (sarcastically)
Him: (starts writing on the paper whilst saying) Ring Births Deaths and Marriages.
Me: (looking directly into his eyes) What do you think I've been doing?
Him: (stares directly back into my eyes) I'm sorry I can't help you. Next.

I did not appreciate having this guy accuse me of not helping myself and using deflecting strategies to palm me off. All I was doing was trying to desperately find where on earth this birth cert was after banging our heads against a brick wall for two weeks whilst we starve and pay rent on the credit card. We are absolutely desperate now to get this cert and go to Centrelink simply to survive and not get kicked out of the house. It was the height of insult to accuse me in such a situation of not "helping myself", even more so that he was a public employee who was supposed to be there to help me.

I don't mind saying that both my partner and I are HIV positive, myself unable to work due to multiple complications. We both suffer anxiety and depression. I am also suffering PTSD and struggling with suicidal thoughts. Such treatment of me by a public servant is beyond comprehension, even if I wasn't vulnerable.

I trust that this complaint will be listened to and the Birth Certificate finally found.

Thank You,. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment