Thursday 27 November 2014

Abbott the thug in a pub - true story


Most interesting read of an incident that happened years ago. Abbott was a hot head who disagreed with this bloke about abortion and women's rights. He wanted to take the bloke outside and punch his face in. This is Abbott's version of "negotiation" I guess. No wonder he's fucked it in the senate.

Read the whole article, but here's some of the best bits. This was written in response to the Abbott story about nearly clobbering a woman political opponent in the early days.....
The interlopers were soon identified as radicals involved in student politics at the University of Sydney. We were about to chip our colleague about bringing contacts into such a low-class establishment when he brought them over and introduced them to us. 

It did not end well. They quickly explained how the world went around and why they had to extinguish their opposition at the university and the rest of the country. Unfortunately, I did not agree with everything that was said and a few feathers got ruffled. The main point of contention was a woman's right to control pregnancy, either via contraception or abortion. My view was that it was something those involved should settle on, not people like me who didn't have to live with the consequences of the decision. To the activists that view was just as unacceptable as abortion. 

The largest of the lot was a person named Tony Abbott. He decided the quickest way to settle our differences was to take me downstairs and demonstrate how I was wrong by punching my head in. This was not the way I wanted the evening to go. Yes, we could have gone downstairs. Yes, he probably could have punched my head in — provided I did not faint of fright first — and yes, the evening's discussion would have been brought to an end. 

Punching heads in was something Abbott did well. A few years after he demonstrated how good he was in the boxing ring at Oxford University where he flattened anyone silly enough to get into the ring with him. 

A number of people in the bar pointed out that pregnancy control and me having a punched-in head were almost unrelated. Basically, with a punched-in head it was unlikely I could have convinced anyone to indulge in an activity that might contribute to a pregnancy. Also whether I did or did not add to the world's population, that small fact was unlikely to have a big affect the national statistics. 

Before Abbott had a chance to damage his knuckles on me, Sheridan interceded and got between us. He calmed Abbott down by suggesting this was not the way to settle differences. I was very pleased he did. The point was taken and the discussion ended. Then the students all departed. I had another drink and assuming by then the street impediment free, I too departed. more  

No comments:

Post a Comment