Thursday 20 November 2014

What would Bobby Goldsmith say now? - the Bobby Goldsmith Foundation (BGF)


After a week or two of reflection about the disgusting treatment I received at the Bobby Goldsmith Foundation (BGF), sending me into a two day rage about it, David and I have had some reflection on the whole issue.

To start with, here is a short excerpt of who Bobby Goldsmith was and how the whole BGF thing was set up in the first place:
It is likely that Goldsmith contracted the human immunodeficiency virus that causes acquired immune deficiency syndrome during one of his visits overseas. By 1983 he was terminally ill. His many friends rallied round to care for him and to organise a fundraising event, held under the auspices of the Gay Counselling Service on Mother’s Day, 13 May 1984, at a gay venue, the Midnight Shift, Oxford Street, Sydney. Some of the money raised was used to buy a commode, a video player to enable him to watch opera, and a support mattress to enable him to remain at home rather than in hospital. He died of acquired immune deficiency syndrome at his home in Surry Hills on 18 June 1984. His was the first publicly acknowledged HIV-AIDS death in New South Wales. After a funeral with high Anglican rites at Christ Church St Laurence, Sydney, he was cremated and his ashes were scattered in the sea between Bondi and Tamarama. His estate was divided between his partner, Kenneth Raymond Bryan, his father and his sister. 

The initial benefit function had raised over $6000; following his death a trust was set up in his memory to assist other AIDS patients. The Bobby Goldsmith Foundation was formed in July 1984 to provide community-based care and financial and practical support for people living with HIV-AIDS. more
Today it is far from anything like that. Today my experience of BGF has been nothing but frustrating and condemning. All I've felt from them these last months has been suspicion that I was trying to rip them off. A suspect, rather than an HIV+ person that the organisation was supposed to help me in crisis. They keep their money so bloody close to their chest, only dealing any of it when criteria was met that were at times completely ridiculous. Even when it was only for a $3 payment of half a $6 prescription.

In the end I've had no choice but to completely give up on them; as someone with mental health issues along with HIV itself, it became impossible for me to continue my relationship with them. It was too stressful, too blaming, too suspicion, when I'm doing my best to deal with PTSD, anxiety and severe depression. 

I still remember the day I went in there with all the proof required to prove I had nothing, only to be rejected and told to go back to Centrelink to get them to officially update my shit to say I had nothing. I will never forget that. It was a betrayal. I sobbed in front of the BGF person for about ten minutes, just couldn't stop, asking WTF do you need to do to prove you're poor?

What would Bobby Goldsmith say now?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment