Saturday 17 October 2015

Compare fibre to the premises now to Turnbulls fibre to the node - simulation

How very interesting. A site that simulates internet speeds, comparing the Labor plan of fibre to the premises, and Turnbull's plan of fibre to a crappy ugly node thingo on the street. 

Fibre to the premises offers 1gbps download speed. Turnbull's copper wire from the node to the premises offers 15mbps download speed. In 2023

So First of all I checked the current speed of the net today, thus:


Is a bit slow today I think. It's often at about 13 or so mbps, which is not far off Turnbulls speed in 2023 of 15mbps. Although download speeds are only ever about 1mbps. Not sure if that has to do with my ISP. I did read recently that Dodo was a bit slow. 

All I've got is the current ADSL2+ that's available here through the old copper wire phone system. No fibre to be seen. The NBN hasn't even started being put in around here. My point is, is that I'm already getting comparable speeds to Turnbull's 2023 NBN with existing outdated technology. There seems little point then in building a fibre optic network across the country if you're not going to connect it all the way to the premises. Otherwise it's only going to slow the thing right down to the existing outdated copper technology between the node and the premises.

So then I went and compared speeds at this site, which provides a simulation of fibre to the premises vs Turnbull copper wire to the premises. Fttp is vastly superior at 1gbps (1,000mbps).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment