Saturday 31 October 2015

Kiwis being deported to New Zealand - The Feed

I'm in two minds about this. Firstly surely it can't be right for the law changed only last December by the Abbott gov to be retroactive to anything done before that date. That's just kangaroo court stuff. Also, one of the blokes in the report did jail time in the 1980's in New Zealand and had never been to jail here in Australia. That just doesn't seem fair, and a system that is unfair will obviously draw criticism and protest.

On the other hand.....

If someone has been in Australia for 20-30 years, why on earth haven't they become a citizen in that time? Myself I did it a few years after getting here in 1985 when Paul Keating was jumping up and down about the republic. But more than that I realy really hated that I was paying tax and a productive member of society, but I couldn't vote. That to me was the biggest reason I became a citizen. The law was changed in the late 1990's and now Kiwi's aren't allowed to become Australian citizens at all. Period.

As well, one of the main people in the report was a bloke who had a "road rage incident", or to put it more accurately committed a serious assault on a person to the point of being jailed for two years. Given our experience with my psycho nephew, it's really hard to feel sorry or any kind of empathy for the bloke in the report. There was nothing about what the consequences were for the victim of his assault.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment