Thursday 28 January 2016

Nationals senator will vote against same sex marriage plebiscite yes vote


They're all coming out of the woodwork now. After Abetz and Bernadi said they'd not vote for a yes vote by the people, now Nationals senator Bridget McKenzie has said definitively that she will not vote for marriage equality, even if the plebiscite gives a yes vote by the people.

This is what I've said from the start when Abbott first mentioned a plebiscite. There's no guarantee that the gov will vote with what the people want. What then is the point of a plebiscite?
Nationals senator Bridget McKenzie has declared she will vote against same-sex marriage regardless of the result of a plebiscite, in contrast to a colleague who insisted the Government was not split on the issue. 

The Victorian senator has a record of opposition against same-sex marriage, but took seven questions to confirm her position. 

The exchange between Senator McKenzie and media at Parliament House took more than a minute, but ended in the politician confirming she would vote against same-sex marriage. 

"As a backbench senator, I can exercise my conscience on every single vote that comes before the Senate and I do," she said. 

"I vote with my conscience on every issue and my conscience on this matter is that I would vote against same-sex marriage." ABC


 

No comments:

Post a Comment