Friday 30 May 2014

Bird flu shot appt

I had to see my doctor before, so I got a script and he asked me about the diary I'd filled out for the study. I also asked him about the $7 doctor tax, which nearest I can gather it's to early for the centre to come up with any pensioner policy yet. He just said it starts in July if it gets through the senate.

So I go upstairs to the research part of the centre and there's a different bloke there who was dealing with me last time. Um, after the statutory anti-Abbott rave to each other (fuck I've never seen so many medical people over the last three months, have so much hatred for our PM) he took some blood and we discussed the diary I'd filled out last time. The 7 days after the first flu shot.

As the guy was involved in the research side of things I guess he wasn't that closely involved with HIV+ people. For example I was saying to him that I generally feel nausea in the mornings (sometimes not) after taking my pills, so I don't know if the nausea would be simply normal for me or a result of the flu injection. Same with tiredness, as the kidney functions aren't the best along with having HIV. The guy seemed surprised that HIV makes you tired. 

Then there was diarrhea which I had a bit of during the 7 days. Thing is I get that off and on all the time, although it's improved somewhat since being on these new HIV pills. Like the other day I had 4 days running (literally). He seemed shocked. Asked if my doctor knew about this. I said of course, it's simply part of the territory with HIV. Being involved only in research I guess that's fair enough though.

Then we got onto my mental health, which for some reason he thought was relevant. I said I've been diagnosed with severe depression and PTSD. He asked who diagnosed that, I said the psychologist I see. Asked again if my doctor knew about this diagnosis, I said of course.

Then the nurse came in and gave me the flu shot. Meh, no biggy. I may be a poof but I'm not a wimp. He was surprised, and started telling about some of the guys that'd been through there as part of the study. Big muscly guys who carry on like 5 year olds at the sight of a needle. Good Grief :s  Give us a bad name.

So I have another diary to fill out for this booster shot, and go back in three weeks to be examined again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment