Saturday 20 December 2014

Australians reject Islamophobia - Sydney siege aftermath

A moving article by a Muslim immigrant from Indonesia. She describes what it's like being in a minority, something gay people will well understand. Indeed, any hatred that's directed at Muslims comes from ignorance and fear. Exactly the same as hatred directed at gays.

I have the same advice as I say to people who think gays are some terrible evil satanic something or other. We're just people like everyone else. Get to know us, understand us, and the hatred and fear will evaporate. This is much of what my blog is all about. Simply raising awareness of who we are. We're not monsters.

Of course being gay and HIV is a double whammy. A minority within a minority. The discrimination that happened at David's last work wasn't because he was gay but because he was HIV+.

Yesterday I picked up some medication at the local chemist, not HIV meds just regular stuff. Whilst waiting for the script to be filled I sat on one of the two chairs there. A middle aged woman sat next to me and I could tell out of the corner of my eye that she was starting to stare. Got two rings from David on my right hand, and one on the left. Also a large silver wrist bracelet thing that he gave. Thick earring with a ball on it I've had for years, chain around neck. Seemed obvious to her that I was gay. I thought meh, whatever, as she continued starring. It was busy with people everywhere waiting for scripts and shopping.

Then a thought occurred to me, what would the lady next to me think if she found out I was HIV+? Would she move from the chair? Would she think she could get it by simply being in such close quarters as this? I dunno, but these thoughts sometimes go through my head. As always the stigma, fear, even hate, comes from ignorance and not knowing me. 


Being a minority 

Honestly, I have never felt like this before, especially when I was in Indonesia where Muslims are the majority and I’m part of the group. In contrast, only two percent of the Australian population are Muslim. Now, I feel what it’s like to be part of a minority group in Australia. 

Deep in my heart I began to feel ‘Oh this is how it feels to be in the minority’. It’s a feeling that you can never understand until you become one of them. These fears and worries are feelings shared by minorities everywhere in the world. All these thoughts challenge me. I try my best to show people around me that as Muslims we have manners, good behaviour and personality. I hope people around me look at me as a Muslim and not as an extremist or terrorist. 

Being part of the Australian community 

I’ve been here in Australia for four years. In this time I have started to volunteer in a multicultural friendship group in the suburb where I live. I decided to volunteer because I wanted to make friends with other people regardless their nation, race and religion, and so I could practice my English as well. I’m proud to tell them about my country, Indonesia, and I am pleased to tell them about my religion. Everyone there is very friendly and responds with a positive attitude. I believe that misperception about Islam happens because people have little knowledge or experience of it. 

Mosques in Queensland have an important role and are active in providing balanced information from the media about Islam. For instance, a few months ago, a community at the Gold Coast Mosque held an open day. Everybody was invited because the event was advertised in a local newspaper. The Muslim community welcomed all people to the mosque, regardless of religion and race. There is only one objective that they can enjoy a barbeque, a lovely part of Aussie culture, and the same time had an opportunity to have informal but fruitful conversations to encourage better understanding about Islam. People were able to actually enter the mosque and see what was going on in the mosque. I think what they have done is so incredible. - See more  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment