Friday 23 June 2017

Stop the stigma against HIV in the gay community


Most discrimination cases involving an HIV+ person in Australia happen in the health profession, I learned a few years back. For example a while back I attended the local hospital here after splitting my forehead open falling out of the bath onto the toilet (with the lid up). Blood everywhere. I waited in Emergency with David to be treated, and David overheard a nurse at the front counter when he was going out for a smoke: "I'm not going near him, he's infectious". Lovely :s

Likewise, stigma against HIV is unfortunately very high in the gay community itself. "Are you clean?" is a regular question asked of a possible hookup. The below video people read out conversations from Grindr.


BTW years ago somebody asked me that question in a sex club "Are you clean?" I actually didn't know what he was talking about at the time, so I said "Yes I've just had a shower". Fuck even I get astounded at my own naivety at times. Ha ha ha....



No comments:

Post a Comment