Wednesday 4 April 2012

Cooking with kangaroo (pics)

In the process of being horrified at the extent the capitalist extremists will go to rape people for the mighty dollar (ie; feed pet food/Pink Slime to the population on the sly) I've become more conscious of what I eat and where it comes from. Yes, Pink Slime was only in America, but junk food is here as well. There are a myriad of other issues involved in junk food rather than just the latest scandal to befall it in America. Some may disagree (don't know who) that you shouldn't ever eat junk food, but that's a rule I'm now making for myself. If I eat out, it will not be at a junk food place. Given my HIV condition, and that I'm not taking medication, I would rather make a tasty simple meal at home than pay a few dollars for something that is bad for me. 

So I thought a little demo of what I'm doing. It's not always kangaroo meat, but of late I've been converted to eating it. This is what I did last night. The kangaroo steaks were only $6, and the meal probably rounded off to about $8 altogether including the veges and potatoes. I dunno if kangaroo is available overseas at all as an export, but if by chance you see it anywhere I'd highly recommend it. I'm no chef, but it's simple to cook.

First to cook the steaks the pan has to be hot. Leave it on the element or gas for a bit so it heats up really well. Previously I've not had a lot of luck with fry pans flat, but this one has ridges and that works much better (I reckon it would be great on a barbecue). They need to be cooked fast on the outside but tender inside. Sort of like a medium/rare steak. I seasoned them with pepper salt and all purpose salt, but that's up to individual taste:


There wasn't the slightest bit of fat on them, the leanest meat I've ever seen. I don't get any indigestion at all after eating them, as I sometimes do with a big steak from a cow. 

I was thinking about some nice gravy on them, but was just too tired last night and used simple old tomato sauce. It worked fine. The potatoes and peas I just boiled in a small pot with a bit of rock salt. Maybe butter or something, grated cheese, but again I was just too tired to be bothered and they were fine like that. Just drained them and chucked them on the plate straight from the pot. 


A very simple meal that worked when I was exhausted after a long work day, that was quick to make. For all of about $8.

No comments:

Post a Comment