Saturday 14 April 2012

The 5 worst Aussie junk foods

A humorous look at someone's idea of the worst foods to eat here.

Tim Tam's come it at 2nd on the list. They are an Australian icon, similar to Oreo's in America I'd expect. Not rocket science saying they're bad for you, just too many of them!


 And Kebabs, I didn't realise the meat in them was that bad. I suppose it's only logical. Seems like the more processed foods are, the worse they are for you.

I came across this very informative thing from Choice magazine. They researched and compared many of the different take away foods available here, and made a very smick looking comparison table out of it. 


 The best thing I like about this article is it's very practical, and even gives some recipe alternatives to do at home that take bugger all time to do. Very suited for me as most of the time I just cook for myself. Boiled potatoes and veges can get a bit monotonous, although I'm not a fussy eater at all and if I'm hungry it's fine. Am not big on deserts either, never had a sweet tooth at all, lucked out there I think.

I also have never been into soft drinks either. Just drink water, coffee, or beer. Alcohol is another subject altogether though. Lucked out there too, as now they've found a link to heart disease in children and soft drinks in a recent study here.
While narrowed blood vessels inside the eye are a known precursor to cardiovascular disease in adults, researchers from the Westmead Millennium Institute have for the first time looked at the link between carbohydrates, which includes sugars, and the retinal health of children.

Nearly 2000 12-year-olds had retinal images taken at the Centre for Vision Research at Sydney University. Narrowing of the retinal arteries was seen in those children with an intake of more than 274 grams of carbohydrates a day.

A major source of those carbohydrates came from soft drinks or cordial, found the study published in this month's American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, with high-risk children consuming one or more glasses a day.

Study leader Bamini Gopinath said the health of retinal blood vessels gave a ''very accurate'' indication of blood vessel health throughout the body.
Link

No comments:

Post a Comment