Tuesday 13 November 2012

Daughter finding her feet

Daughter started her new job yesterday at a child care centre. Normally there'd be a thing about starting a first day at a job but she's already spent some days there as part of the units she's doing for her child care course. She's thrilled to bits about the place, is very well run and managed. She enjoys that sort of work too, so she's really landed on her feet with this one. 

*whew* I guess my perseverance is finally starting to pay off. I'm even getting better at dealing with her when she has her periods. In the old days when things were incredibly stressful, I'd often just explode back at her. Not helpful at all I don't think. We'd just end up having a big argument and being really pissed off with each other. Now I do the silent ignore thing. Sometimes it's better to just quietly leave the room and go do something else, you know when she's stressed and annoyed and getting ready to explode. 

It generally goes like this. Using her PC as an example. Sometimes with the internet the modem needs resetting (turning off and back on) for some reason that's beyond my technical understanding. It's no biggy though, all that's needed is to turn the wall switch off and back on, which resets both the modem and router and wait about a minute for it to stop flashing madly. Then hey presto, the net's back on. But if she has her periods, she's likely to come storming out of the bedroom demanding to know why the nets not on, and that I should ring the ISP, and it shouldn't be happening, and it's wrong, and we're paying money for it (well I am) and bla bla bla.....   The inference is that I should jump up in response, bound to the phone, ring the ISP, and somehow fix the resetting of the modem by talking to a call centre in India. Which of course would take much more time than simply turning the thing off and then back on.

So I, resisting the temptation to chuck my own hissy fit back at her, quietly ignore her ranting and simply turn the switch off and on, and wait for the minute for it to fix itself, whilst reading the web page I'm on if I'm online too. This procedure seems to completely take the wind out of her dummy spit, she calms down, and as she's not getting a reaction goes back to her PC in her room. Ahhhhh, you can almost here birds singing. 

She wanted to work out how much she's getting at the new job, so showed me the agreement she was signing to start there. Is $45,000 a year, wow that's pretty good for someone who's only just turning twenty two. I'm very proud of her, told her so too. She's had such a difficult start to life and things haven't been easy between us for a lot of that time (about when she started getting her periods I think!) but she's really picked herself up and is succeeding. I divided that by 52 to get the weekly amount (she's just not good at maths) and explained it'd be about $150 a week tax on the gross amount, maybe more. Looking like about $700 in the hand a week, somewhere round there, which is a decent enough wage to live properly on. 

She'll probably be living with me at least another year as she's got 3 units to go with the child care course before she's finished it. I dunno what she'll want to do after that, maybe get a place with her and her boyfriend perhaps as he's working too. Will cross that bridge when I get to it. Is a big reason why I wanted to stay here in Sydney so as she'd be having a stable place to stay to finish her studies and not having to worry about moving and all. It can be very hard in Sydney to find a place that's suited to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment