Friday 23 November 2012

Dealing with change

Had the 4th session of the Resilience workshop yesterday. Not sure how much in the mood I was for it as it's been a lot of stuff to take in each time. Have had a bit of a head cold last couple of days and not particularly wanting to sit for 3 hours, but anyway...

This one was about ways to manage change, and using a small example from your own life in an exercise that breaks the change down into smaller easier to handle bites. It is useful that, as if I'm trying to do something often I just look at the whole problem and feel overwhelmed by it, then sometimes avoid the issue for as long as I can. Obviously that doesn't solve anything.

Had a bit of a moment too during it. I suppose the odd moment here and there is to be expected with something like this. I think the question was what causes change. I was going to say something about the random nature of the universe interacts with your life, or something along those lines. But then my thoughts went to a conversation I had some time ago with the psychologist about why things happen. In that talk I was saying yes, random events with no rhyme or reason, but sometimes chance deals you a really shitty hand and you just have to deal with it. I related this to the group and my comments in that conversation that all I wanted was another hand to be dealt. Another chance, in this life of chance. There were a few tears by me darlings, and I don't think anyone else's eyes were exactly dry either. 

It was simply talking about change, that lead to those memories coming back, and how badly I'd felt back then in that conversation. I was back in that pain. The memories are more than recalling events, they include all the feelings and emotions as well. It's like being transported back in time and reliving the event.

We went on to talk more about change and how to deal with it. I was feeling pretty flat after that though. Drained. It was pointed out by others that our own interaction with chance can change things too, that everything isn't set in stone. Is how you deal with things more so than trying to avoid dealing with them. This in itself can influence future events.

No comments:

Post a Comment