Friday 11 February 2011

$1,000, Centrelink to the rescue

It's taken rather a lot of BS'ing around, but finally it's all fallen into place with Centrelink. Needless to say today involved the usual amount of hassling, waiting, redoing, etc etc, but the outcome was worth the annoyance.

It turns out ever since I first lodged the form 3 weeks ago I was eligible for rent assistance. Why nobody there told me this is a reflection on the staff there, but after my income dropped to nothing it all came to light. This is worth a fair bit, and on Monday I'm getting back paid nearly $400 from the day I lodged the forms. And after that extra on top of every fortnightly payment.

The next fortnightly payment is due next Thursday, which with the rent assistance will make it about $600 I suppose. Not a lot to survive 2 weeks on, but certainly a more reasonable amount than $18! 

Hopefully will be getting back to paid employment soon anyway. Dept head is having a meeting with the OH&S officer Monday about it. Am in limbo right now; there's other things I could apply for if I was to be permanently off work, but there's no point if I'm starting back soon. Like the "Special Assistance Subsidy":
Special Assistance Subsidy is a rental subsidy given to people with HIV who require housing support and have the option to rent privately. To be eligible for Special Assistance Subsidy you'll need to apply for housing assistance with the Department of Housing. You'll need proof of your HIV status and income.
http://www.acon.org.au/hiv/housing-support/Accommodation-Options
Although these things are all well and good, there is a down side to them. The lack of independence probably the biggest factor for me. I've been involved with both the Dept of Housing and Centrelink before, and every step of the way you're required to jump through all their hoops and follow every rule they declare. If you actually earn more they make you feel guilty about it by cutting your payments.

No comments:

Post a Comment