Saturday 19 February 2011

Adjusting to kidneys that work

I may be going back to work next Wed. I have an appt to see my GP Tues where he has to sign off on a list of appropriate duties given to him by the company for perusal. Also the amount of hours per week to start with, and anything else associated with OH&S. I will be asking to start the following Monday, and see if the perma-cath can be taken out before I go. 

I've also gone back to the original happy pill dose that I was on before the Great Kidney Collapse (GKC). For the last 2 months have been taking only half due to the kidneys, the theory being that as they weren't working properly then a half dose was as good as a full dose. Now they're just about back to normal, I thought it prudent to put my happy pills back to normal (I don't want another episode of depression like I had the other week, quite scary that one). This would all be no worries, but as I'm on such a high dose, going from half back to normal is a jump of 150mg a day up to 300mg, quite a lot. I doubt I'll get any significant side effects getting used to it again as I've been taking them for so long now, but I would like to have the rest of the week at home just in case.

Had a long chat with the dept head yesterday about it all. He rang me to tell me he'd emailed the paperwork to me for my doctor to look at (which I forwarded on to the doc). He to said how at the start he had a lot of doubts as to whether I'd ever get back to work, or even get to the point I was at now. I said I thought originally as well probably 70-80% chance I wasn't coming back. It looks like there will be some appreciation by the powers that be at work of the significance of my return. He also said that the focus has to be on abiding by what the doctor says and not getting ahead of myself, which of course is something I'll have to watch. Likely will start with only a few hours a day light duties and build up to a full day again, will see how it works. Have never been through this before with a return to work after sickness like that.

I imagine too I'd be keen to do a bit of overtime if it was available, but that I reckon will be out of the question for a while. I'm broke and in debt up to my eyeballs, but I guess will just have to live with it for now. I should give myself credit that the rent has all been paid through the GKC, and even the loan and minimum credit card payments for Jan and Feb will all be paid. I have gone further into debt, a couple of the rents I've had to do via credit cards, and all the groceries the last 2-3 weeks have gone on credit. The washing machine died in the middle of the GKC too and I got a second hand one on the cards. All up I reckon about $3,000 further in debt since end of Dec. But hey, can't be helped, and the new $2,000 one has an interest rate of only 13.5%. I'm saved!

Probably a good thing I'm broke anyway as I might have been tempted to go and celebrate the end of the nightmare at the pub. Strangely though I don't at all feel like drinking. *faints*. In reality I'd stopped drinking nearly completely 2 weeks before the GKC anyway, even thought feeling sick might have been alcohol withdrawals (but that was discounted as I hadn't been drinking enough for the intense sickness I was feeling). I was spending too much at the pub and simply wanted more control over my money was about it. But now it's more than that, I want more control over my head too. It has been such a bad nightmare the last few weeks, the delirium in the hospital and the hallucinations were like a bad trip. Being in control of my head is rather refreshing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment