Wednesday 23 February 2011

Certificate of fitness for work

I feel like framing the bloody thing:


So Monday it is. Am a bit nervous, a lot nervous in fact. Not about the work but all the questions from people that they'll want me to answer. I guess I'll just have to have the story clear in my head and know what to say, before blurting out to someone about the HIV. It wouldn't be the first time someone found out about it by me mentioning it by accident; the neighbour last year found out that way. Luckily he took the news very well and is very supportive now. However I'm not willing to take that risk at work with the whole factory knowing.

Discrimination and ignorance still exists in workplaces regarding HIV, despite the laws. There was a guy in a support group a while back who told the story of his work. He and his friend of many years worked at the same small shop in the country, and he told his friend that he was recently diagnosed with HIV. Expecting to get support from the friend. The friend however went and told everyone else that worked there, the boss found out, and he was fired. Being only a small place and not unionised there was nothing he could do.

Gladly I work in a very big place, and a strong union presence on the site. Everything has to be by the book, and I could easily take the company to court if I was discriminated against (the union would represent me for free). But I'm sure the ignorance and stigmatism would still exist with many of the workers there, including fellow union members. The last thing I want is to have to deal with that. In fact I wouldn't be bothered, I'd just quit. I doubt in my mental condition that I'd have the capacity for dealing with such a drama.

Other than that, am actually looking forward to getting back to work. The biggest thing will be the feeling of independence again, and being in control. Lately have been looking at life as something where opportunities exist, rather than prospective doom. 

Getting back to work is a major step forward. And it didn't just happen. I have been very proactive in the whole process, pushing the doctors and in contact with the work dept head. Yes it was dependent on my recovering health wise, but in many respects I made it happen too. I ate well, rested well, arranged things with work, got the ball rolling. It wasn't just luck (although that was a big part of it) it was something I had a part in achieving. The sense of accomplishment is certainly a help for my head. 

Not bad for an HIV+ person, who only weeks ago was nearly dead. If I can accomplish that, what other opportunities are there? We have but one life.

2 comments:

  1. Just tell them you had a severe allergic reaction to the Naproxen. They'll not know any different.

    Best regards from Connecticut, U.S.A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day edfu, thanks for that. Yes it's possible for naproxen to trigger an allergic reaction independently of HIV medications. I'll be going with that story I think :)

    ReplyDelete