Thursday 24 February 2011

Tail end of the GKC

Another blood test today, and urine sample. Doctor hasn't rung again after that first blood test this week so I suppose the potassium is OK now. Got some stuff from the hospital pharmacy for it, "Resonium A", sounds like something out of a science fiction movie. Have to take that for 3 days only, just got it today as when I got the prescription on Tuesday I didn't realise it was a hospital only one and found out afterwards when I gave it to my local chemist. The chemist didn't have it, and I couldn't be bothered getting a bus back to the hospital again. So I got it today when I went for another blood test. It's powder and you mix it up in a sweet drink. Doctor warned me it tastes terrible, but with some nice fruit juice it seemed OK to me. The consistency was a bit like fine sand, but the actual taste wasn't anything terrible. After what I've been through taking that was nothing.

Still have the perma-cath in. Have heard nothing about when it's coming out. Walked down the corridor from the Renal clinic today and got the bandage changed by the dialysis people. They were surprised it was still in. Been 9 days now since it was used. They tried flushing it out as it's evidently not good for it to go so long without flushing, and one of the tubes is no longer working, blocked for some reason. I have an appt on 7th next month but I'll be ringing them before then about it. I'll be having to go into the dialysis people just so they can change the bandage every few days. The weather is still hot here, and even just a little bit of sweating gets under the bandage and stops it sticking. After 3 or 4 days it needs changing as it's coming off. I can't do it myself as it has to be done with completely sterile instruments and bandages in a hospital environment, not on the bed at home. Oh well, I guess I'll be able to freak everyone out at work by showing them it!

No comments:

Post a Comment