Wednesday 13 July 2011

The $ cost of the Great Kidney Collapse

Got the cert from work for the end of the financial year tax return (does that work the same in other countries with the financial year being from July to June? I dunno). Made an appt with the tax guy this sat to do the tax return for me. 

Although I'm simply a wage earner the tax system here is hugely complicated. Even just a simple return can get extremely hard to do. Plus this year I have all that that happened with the GKC; the Centrelink payments (a massive $300 a week) are subject to tax as well, an insult. If I got that pathetic amount all year it wouldn't even go over the tax free threshold FFS. 

I was surprised though at what my gross payments were from work. I knew I'd lost thousands by not being at work due to illness, but I didn't realise that it was that much. At a rough calculation it looks like about $11,000 I lost (gross). Fuck, no wonder I went further into debt. Probably did very well in limiting the further debt to only about $3,000 more.

It will be interesting to see the final results of all of this on Sat. Will I owe the tax office a bit, or will they owe me?

No comments:

Post a Comment