Monday 16 January 2012

I'm going ahead with the AVO

The Chamber Registrar from the local court rang me earlier to discuss the death threat. After I read her the message, and explained a bit of background, she was quite happy to make an appt for me to come in and file for an Apprehended Violence Order. The first available is this Thursday just before lunch. I'll have to take the day off work but that's fine, I'll ask for it out of annual leave. 

It's quite a process as it's not a case of domestic violence as I don't live with him. The application will be made and a court date set for him to attend court 2 weeks later. The two weeks is to give enough time for the police to serve him with the court attendance notice. If he doesn't turn up, then it's adjourned for a later date to give more time for him to be served. Or, if he turns up and rejects the fact of being given an AVO then it will go to a hearing, of which I will have to present my case to a magistrate. 

If his challenge is upheld I may be liable for his court costs. But honestly I can't see that happening. I have witnesses and it's all there in full glorious Facebook colours. I can't believe the idiot put that on the internet FFS! It just shows how little control he had over himself when he wrote it. Other than it doesn't cost me anything all of this. 

I also have to write a summary of what's happened to take with me on Thursday. No worries, easy.

The fact that I'm HIV+ and he used that in the message makes it even worse for him. The stress caused can directly impact on my immune system and health. Not to mention the depression and anxiety that I already suffer because of the HIV already.

He's picked on the wrong bloody person this time. 

2 comments:

  1. afternoon peter
    Being an American, I do NOT know what an AVO is. I know it's not good and something to do with the courts and this dudes threats against you, but please explain or write the words instead of initals please
    Thanks,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom,

    AVO is Apprehended Violence Order. It's linked, the blue words top of post. Follow that link and there's a full explanation.

    From the link:
    "This is a restraining order, which orders the violent person to stay away from you, your home and/or your workplace. As a general rule, an AVO will stop the violent person from continuing to harass you."

    Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete