Tuesday 14 August 2012

Preparing for Lightning Ridge


Couldn't figure out how to do the amazing advanced thing of embedding the above map from Google maps, so I just settled for a snip. This is part of the wonderful state of New South Wales, and on the bottom right is Sydney (*waves from Sydney*). It's pretty big now, has 5 million people and takes a while to drive through it. I'm about where the white dot is, in the eastern suburbs. Lightning Ridge is up the top where the red pointer thingy is. It's too small a place to zoom out that far and still have Google maps show it's name. I had to Zoom out to fit Sydney in the picture as well.

The trip on Friday will be an all day affair. Leaving from Central Station at about 7am and getting to Lightning Ridge at about 7pm. First is the train trip out to Dubbo (sort of north west of Sydney) and then a bus from Dubbo to the Ridge. 

As usual I'm nervous about leaving home, especially as it's so far away and that I'll be out there for two weeks. I'll still be on the mobile though so my daughter can ring or text if she wants, or anyone else for that matter. And I've got the PC all prepared; activated the wireless thing today, saved the site where I can recharge it if I need to as it's pre-paid. One of the things last time out there, I just about had a withdrawal crisis without a working PC in the place. Simon just doesn't understand being older and all, but I spend a lot of time online and find a real outlet and expression in that. Taking the camera as well and posting pictures.

Of course I'll be with Simon so I won't be spending as long online out there, but I'll be posting as usual only from in the middle of nowhere :s   I gotta check the power settings too on the PC I guess, as you have to start the generator to plug the thing in to the normal power. Otherwise it's just running off the battery. 

Haven't started packing, usual story I haven't the faintest what to take. The thought of organising what to  take for 2 weeks away is a bit overwhelming and I find myself just not starting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment