Wednesday 29 August 2012

100 year old mining shack

This was right off the beaten track, although near the big open cut opal mine. When opal was discovered here people started moving in and setting up camps to mine the opal. They then went further and put together little shacks on the camps to live in. This was one of the first shacks built, about 100 years ago.

Fuck, I dunno how anyone could have lived in that. I guess it was so long ago that at least they'd not have missed having electricity. How they did even the basics of life I'd not know. I mean obviously no flushing toilet, just nothing but little more than a tin shed. Must have been a bloody rough life. Hope they found a lot of opal living like that and were rewarded for their efforts.

Poor Simon is so sick today with my flu. He's not a particularly good patient either, but I can understand that. It's unusual for him to be sick as he's normally so healthy, would be hard to deal with for him. 

I on the other hand am feeling much better. Still got an annoying cough in the morning and blowing my nose, but it's mostly clear, only the odd bit of yellow slime now. The pain in my throat is pretty well gone. The antibiotics will end the day I go back to Sydney (this Friday) so I can see a doctor down there if I need more. 

Not looking forward to that 12 hour trip again on Friday. Leave here about 9am and get into Sydney about 9pm at Central Station. Will be very very strange being back in Sydney after living out here for 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment