Friday 10 August 2012

Vanessa and Nurse Nancy's chin wag

A very pleasant night, although I do at times get a bit depressed being in a room full of people with HIV the subject. It was light hearted though. 

Was thinking about taking my camera but decided against it as it's not proper to take pictures of people at something like that, as it can reveal their status. I just took a couple with my phone that were pretty innocuous. Apologies for the blurryness, this is Vanessa and Nurse Nancy (Vanessa sporting her new frock):

The food was unbelievable. When they said food and beverages there, I thought it was gonna be chips and peanuts or something, with tea and coffee. But wow it was a full on meal, helped yourself. All really healthy stuff. Here's before everyone arrived (I got there early as I got the time wrong):

I'm not a wine drinker at all, makes me terribly sick, seems to actually hurt my stomach. There was a bar though with cold beers just out the door a bit which was fine.

The conversation included a panel of local health workers who sat in the chairs up the front and fielded questions. I was surprised when I saw my doctor/GP arrive and after we ate he was included in the panel. I said when he was getting his food "Hello I'm Peter", ha ha, it was pretty funny. Told him I'd got the DSP, he was very pleased.

Much of the subjects were stuff that I've looked into previously, but there's always something new to learn at something like this. For instance they've changed the eligibility requirements for the Disability Support Pension in recent months and now having HIV alone isn't enough to qualify. I didn't know that. Makes me getting it even more a victory (of sorts). Other things about new research into when to start medication and the like were bought up.

Was in a bit of a strange mood afterwards. Going home on the bus felt depressed for some reason. Think probably talking about the whole HIV subject can, like I said, get to you a bit at times.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment