Thursday 30 August 2012

Gov announces $4billion dental scheme

I can't find any major detail in it yet, but as I'm on a pension now whatever the case is I know I'll be able to access dental care. The basics are that the chronic illness scheme is being caned at the end of the year, and the money saved spread more widely, particularly to kids. People on "low incomes" and pensions will have better access to increased public health services. 
$2.7 billion for around 3.4 million Australian children who will be eligible for subsidised dental care;

$1.3 billion for around 1.4 million additional services for adults on low incomes, including pensioners and concession card holders, and those with special needs; who will have better access to dental care in the public system; and

$225 million for dental capital and workforce will be provided to support expanded services for people living in outer metropolitan, regional, rural and remote areas.
Link
Obviously on a pension there seems no worries. But what is the definition of "low income"? The last time I looked into getting a low income health care card (as I was only earning about $560 a week pre-tax I think) I found that I was earning too much to qualify. The income limit to be deemed "low income" was a ridiculous $470 a week gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment