Saturday 1 September 2012

Generator noise video

I've discovered the video button on my camera (it's only taken me about 3 years). So to try it out I video'd the diesel generator at Simon's place when he had it going. Then I even managed to upload the thing to YouTube. Quite an accomplishment. It seemed to come out a rather large file though at 12mb's, have no idea why. Will have to look into that. Maybe ask my daughter.

 
It's an old generator (obviously) but as it's built like a bloody Sherman tank it's way more valuable than a brand new push-button start one. They're worth about $800 new I'm told, but don't last very long. This one is worth over $2,000 as it will go for zonks. Has a crank handle and requires a knack to get the thing going. Best started when the sun's been on it and the engine is warmed up.

Apparently they're all loud like this, being diesel. It's in a shed facing away from the house toward the airport, so it's not that noticeable inside, the noise. But he only puts the thing on once a week to pump the water up to the top tank, and the rest of the time it's all solar power.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment