Monday 24 September 2012

Anti-homophobe adds: an Australian first

Surprisingly to me, Australia hasn't had adds before like this. I didn't know that.

They're interesting, as normally you don't think about the subtle innuendo that sometimes works it's way into daily conversation. It is a put down, inferring that who you are is bad. Some of the comments are blatant as well. 


Personally I'm the sort of person to either let something slide or mock them back with humour. Like when the bloke puts a crown on the desk, I'd probably make a big deal "Oh thank you darling, it's just beautiful!" or some shit like that. But that's just me. Some people aren't as forthright as I am, and they don't deserve to be demeaned in such a way.

The adds:


 
Also an online resource here:
No to homophobia

Facebook
Twitter

Maybe the adds will educate people who may not even realise how hurtful their remarks can be? It is true after all that we're well over-represented in numbers relating to suicide and depression. Perhaps a better community understanding of the subject wouldn't go astray.

No comments:

Post a Comment