Friday 15 February 2013

Uganda deports producer over "gay" play

It looks like there's more than just gays in Uganda that are getting persecuted because of the anti-gay laws there. Freedom of speech is also suffering as well. David Cecil, theatre producer, got deported back to England after his play was deemed to be promoting gay rights. Although the case against him was dismissed in court, the authorities still deported him. Sounds like a witch hunt to me.



But on 6 February Mr Cecil was rearrested and locked up for five days before being deported to the UK. His Ugandan girlfriend and two young children are still in Kampala.

The theatre producer from west London said the conditions inside the police station were "very grim" and that he was eventually kicked out of Uganda after initially being told he was free to go.

"I was immediately led into a car with three plain-clothed officers and an armed guard, and was then driven at high speed to Entebbe airport where I was put into another locked room without being told what was going on. I was then led onto a plane and suddenly found myself in London," he said.

"In all honesty it felt like I was in an (Idi) Amin-era extraordinary rendition - during the days of Idi Amin people would be carted off in cars and taken God knows where ... I think that the most scary thing for my friends and family in Uganda was they just had no idea where I was." more
Ah yes, more Christian love on display.

No comments:

Post a Comment