Thursday 22 August 2013

Journalist and star "socks it to Russia"

Wow, this guy really lays into Russia and Putin on live TV, on the Russian channel RT. He had the satelite feed cut, but not before making it absolutely clear what gay people think of Russia now:


 
Interestingly, this stuff is making it into the main stream media in Australia. This is part of my home page:


http://ninemsn.com.au/

Notice also right next to it, the star of Prison Break has come out as gay and "socks it to Russia" as the story says. He was invited to go over there and declined, saying this:
The 41-year-old was invited to attend the St Petersburg International Film Festival, and chose to reply to the invite with a firm statement against Russia's controversial anti-gay laws. 

"Thank you for your kind invitation. As someone who has enjoyed visiting Russia in the past and can also claim a degree of Russian ancestry, it would make me happy to say yes," Wentworth wrote in a letter to Maria Averbakh, the film festival's director. 

"However, as a gay man, I must decline. I am deeply troubled by the current attitude toward and treatment of gay men and women by the Russian government. 
"The situation is in no way acceptable, and I cannot in good conscience participate in a celebratory occasion hosted by a country where people like myself are being systematically denied their basic right to live and love openly." more
My highlighting. I think some of the Olympic athletes so worried about their career and self interest could learn a lot from those few words.

No comments:

Post a Comment