Wednesday 26 February 2014

GetUp video of candlelight vigil asylum seekers

I've been surprised at the reaction this time from the death of an asylum seeker on Manus Island in Australian custody. It's probably me as I've just gotten used to the race to the bottom by both major political parties here. This shit has been going on since Howard demonised asylum seekers to win a federal election years back, and since then both parties have been trying to outdo each other on getting tough with asylum seekers. Now, after a decade or so of our politics polluted by Howard's race card, I guess I just thought things would continue as they have.

But the outpouring and response from the community has been much more than anyone anticipated I think. The candlelight vigil on the other day was organised by GetUp, who have now released a short video about it. Perhaps this is now a turning point? 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment