Friday 28 February 2014

Taking part in cancer study

I replied to a thing I came across online last month, a study seeking participation from HIV+ gay men re anal cancer. The appointment has come up and so I'm off to St. Vincents hospital this afternoon for it. This from the info stuff:
"The purpose is to study anal HPV infection in homosexual men aged 35 years or above. The study will also look at the rates of development of HPV-associated anal intra-epithelial neoplasia (AIN). AIN is characterised by the presence of abnormal cells in the anal canal. In some people, AIN may precede anal cancer. The results of the study will help guide the development of an anal screening program in homosexual men who are at higher risk than other men of developing anal cancer."
Basically it involves looking inside through a microscope. Am not worried about the cancer thing as I already got screen when I turned 50 through the gov screening process for bowel cancer. I guess this is a bit different though, given it's to do with the anus and not the actual bowel.

David reckons I'm a bit nuts going through all this, but I said what if some breakthrough happened as a result of this study? I'd be really happy to have participated in it. Other than that it's generally helping in the overall anal cancer thing. I'm happy to be a part of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment