Saturday 27 August 2011

First Contact

I've made email contact with a sister of mine in New Zealand. Haven't seen her in years, last time was in the '90's when I went over for Dad's funeral. Finally someone over there want to do the email thing! I dunno WTF it is about Kiwis, or maybe it's just my fucked up dysfunctional family, but nobody can be bothered emailing. My oldest brother, his wife does so maybe once in 6 months or so. My sister now though we've started conversing back and forth every day. 

For me as a Kiwi email is fantastic. Growing up in New Zealand you're always aware of the massive distances involved in getting pretty much anywhere out of the country. Even Sydney is a 3 hour flight I think from memory. It still amazes me that you can have such instant communication with not only people in NZ, but someone right on the other side of the world as well. 

My sister is apparently a bit of a dark sheep in the family. But given my family fucked up ness, that could mean anything. She's probably better off having fuck all to do with them over there. Perhaps one of the few to retain their sanity after the horrible up bringing we all had. Not many have seemed to be able to escape that history and have carried that dysfunctionality on into their adult life. I have tried too, was one of the big reasons for me leaving NZ was to get away from all of them. I have another sister over here in Sydney who also has spent years in therapy and is happy to be away fro it all. We sometimes compare notes.

It will be interesting to engage in conversation with this latest contact direct from NZ. She has stories of her own to tell...

Got a letter in the mail yesterday, in it was the doctors cert for last Tues afternoon. OMG! With a note from my doctor offering anything else if I needed it. Reading between the lines I think he's flabbergasted with it all. Emailed my dept head with the news, who was very thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment