Thursday 25 August 2011

Work goes from the sublime to the ridiculous

Got to work today and not long after the dept head got in. Seeing me as he did so, he asked me if I'd gotten in touch with the hospital about the doctors cert for Tues. WTF? The cert that would be for all of 2 hours work missed when I left at 1pm in the afternoon. I told him don't panic, you will get it. Also that work had come up at the appt as the HIV doctor always asks about my life generally and how I'm going. 

The response from the doctor (and he's not the only professional I'm seeing who is dumbfounded at the management attitude at work) was telling. He said he was very right wing as far as bludging off the system or work goes, using your health as a lever. But after what I'd been through this year, he just could not believe what was going on at work with me. He offered any paperwork or anything that might help with it. I appreciated that, as this just wasn't from my GP, this was from a clinic doctor at the hospital. And we got to talking about my relationship with Simon a bit after that, and other issues that might affect my health. And in the end I completely forgot to ask for a doctors cert for the massive 2 hours off work. Fuckin shoot me.

This has really got me down the last couple of days. I'm being treated like a fuckin 10 year old. 

So today I rang the clinic and talked to the secretary there. My email to the clinical nurse consultant hadn't been answered as she'd been in meetings for over a day. And my doctor wasn't going to be back in the clinic until Monday. She did though say that the cert could be scanned on Monday and emailed to me. I said that was better than actually mailing it as work were being assholes (my exact words BTW). 

I then texted my dept head saying all this, and that I'd forward the email when I got it. He stopped by where I was a bit later in his travels about the place and thanked me. I said that I thought it best to give him something in writing to show the nuts in the office if they started having a hissy fit about it. 

Fuck I can't believe this fuckin shit. All this over 2 fuckin hours, on a day that I was at work. I really feel like chucking this job. 

Daughter had her first day of work through her agency today. Some place down the road, a bit closer than my work. She's getting in fact nearly $23 an hour, so she's only $3 an hour behind me. I'm quite impressed as she's only 20. Makes me wonder what I might get if I worked through an agency. But no, fuck that, too much pressure. Will ask her about it all later. 

If the work is constant I might be thinking about raising her rent a bit. With me becoming poor it will be another option I could look at. Am only charging her $100 a week for the room (plus $20 for utilities) but I could easily get $150 for it, even more I reckon. Have been here for over 3 years and there's laws against big rent rises for existing tenants. Comparatively $360 a week for this place is cheap now around here. Two bedrooms are easily $400-450 for new tenants. Somebody would jump at $150+$20 utilities a week. It's just a thought. On the other hand as her father I don't want to punish her for earning more and want her to enjoy her success.

No comments:

Post a Comment