Saturday 20 August 2011

Full time work comes to an end

Signed the papers for the new hours at work yesterday. It was pretty much a standard form so I wasn't fussed about having it checked out independently by the union. Just signed it and got it over with. It starts Wed 31st, and the old shift ends Tues 30th, so that last week will be a full 5 day week as the shift changes.

Had to have a meeting with HR to discuss it. They asked me about the whole affair. I did go into it a bit, and related my frustrations at the lack of professionalism by management in the way they handled it all. But in the end I said that I'd just had enough of it all and didn't want to take it any further. It wasn't worth any more stress over it. I also disclosed my HIV status to her as being in Human Resources it would be fair for her to know. She didn't bat an eyelid, although did sit forward and listen more intently after that to what I was saying. 

One thing that is in the paperwork made me think a bit. It was pointed out to me a week or so ago by someone, that I should remember that I'm actually quite sick being positive and not on anti-retrovirals. I think they're right. Even though my CD4 count is excellent, that doesn't mean the HIV isn't there. And it appears it doesn't take much to throw my body over the edge, as indicated by this latest Great Sore Throat Crisis. Perhaps it's time to realise that I simply can't work full time like I used to. To face that reality. I did try, gave it a good go, but it hasn't seemed to work out too well. 

Written into the new employment thing is the following:
"Please note the changes in your hours have been made to support your current health state and high absenteeism. You may apply to return to full time hours; however such request will be subject to medical clearance by ...   's... company doctor"
For me this has been about the poor way it was all handled by management. But signing the above gives credence to it really being about my health. I know the way will be open if I want to go back to full time work, but I think I'd be kidding myself if I thought that doing so wouldn't be extremely difficult and possibly beyond my reach. Although it's a highly skilled tradesman's job, it's very physically demanding. In all likely-hood, this will probably be the end of full time work for me.

My throat is finally getting better. Wow that was a bad one. It was so aggressive. It may have been just an aggressive virus, or maybe just my immune system struggling with a bit of an overload because of it, I dunno. But it has been a reminder that with HIV, things with my health can change very fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment