Tuesday 8 May 2012

Another study to participate in

Had  busy day yesterday.

First off went to the Renal Clinic at the hospital. It's been 6 months since my last visit and I didn't particularly feel like going. Got there about 15 minutes before my appt and did the urine specimens and got my weight and blood pressure done by the nurse. The receptionist told me I needed a referral from my GP, so I'll have to sort that out. Told her I'd forgotten about all those procedures as it was all done through Emergency when I came in last year. Doctor saw me straight away and I didn't have to wait. He used the blood results from my last visit to the Infectious Diseases clinic that I got done in Jan for my CD4 count. 

Kidney results were as expected, the kidney functions only a bit below normal. That's to be expected as the 2nd time I nearly died last year I was in fact almost dead when they found me; very weak heartbeat with pneumonia, and suffered a lack of oxygen to my body. As well as the brain injury (which I seem to have recovered a lot from) this also increased the damage to the kidneys which had only 2 weeks earlier failed acutely from the allergic reaction. Overall, being as how sick and nearly dead I was, this today is a fantastic result. All the doctors involved are pleased and surprised at my recovery from it. I don't have to go back for a year now, and the Renal Clinic at the hospital will communicate with my GP for future blood monitoring. It was a short meeting, and I left there only about half an hour after arriving, must be an all time record. 

Walked up the road and got on the bus for my next appt; part 2 of the HIV brain study. This is the last bit required of me for this to complete my contribution, the study testing people mentally with a 6 month interval to gauge the effects that HIV may or may not have on the brain. I explained from the start that I didn't actually have much of a brain left to begin with, all that alcohol and drugs, as well as the brain injury last year. Apparently I did quite well though. I can get the results from my GP to find out how much of a brain I actually do have. Seeing him today. 

Got to Oxford St in good time on the bus,  only waited about 5 minutes for one near the hospital. As I had some spare time I thought I'd go and get my Fury Fridays bear card activated at the Oxford Hotel.


It gives me cheap drinks on Friday nights there, being "fury Friday". I'm usually too exhausted after work to get out much drinking on a Friday night, but may make an effort to when Simon is here. As I was in the pub after doing that I had a quiet beer whilst waiting for it to be time for the brain study appt. Hadn't drunk all weekend.

After I completed the tests and questionnaires at the appt, they asked me if I'd like to take part in another on. "Ugh" I thought, as I'd just about had enough of it. But this one does look quite interesting, especially with the way I've been looking into food quality lately. I only just qualify being over 50 as it's for over 50's. My GP is the one heading the study too which would make it easier. They gave me some info to read through and discuss it today with my GP.

The actual time involved seems quite a lot. It's all completely free though, and I see and get advice from a nutritionist and all. I rang and asked Simon's opinion and he thought it sounded a good idea. It would be interesting, and I can pull out any time I want if it's getting a bit much. I would be in the group with the "team approach". Think I may agree to do this after all as it's a subject I'm interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment