Sunday 13 May 2012

Gay marriage rally

Yesterday afternoon Simon and I ended up at the Oxford at Taylor Square, and there were people who'd been to a rally drinking there on the balcony. I hadn't even heard about it, but it was in support of gay marriage. Felt a bit silly not have known about it as I usually am up on those sorts of things. It had finished earlier just across the road in fact. Wished I'd have known about it as it would've been a fun event and I'd have taken photos. Apparently it went really well.



The decision of Obama in America to become the first US President to support gay marriage has been in the news here this week. It's good that it's gotten news coverage, but it's a bit sad in a way that so much media hype is given to something that really is a no brainer. I guess it's significant in that it's the first US president to do so, but as far as being some radical move that's going to up-heave society it's a complete non issue. 

It's simply the conservatives over there trying to make it so, pronouncing the end of life as we know it if gay marriage goes ahead. The haters aren't representative of the majority of people in Western countries who are in favour of equal rights for gays. Unfortunately this non issue is being drummed up by conservatives for political purposes, and I think it's very unfair that such a basic issue as equal rights is being used as a political football for the self interest of political parties. We owe a minority group more than to label them evil in the name of politics and religion. 

This is the sort of shit we're up against, unbelievable that in 2021 someone can make a submission like this completely seriously:

 

I am not evil. I am not bad. I'm a fuckin human being just like everyone else. My sexuality is not wrong. 

I'm getting the feeling that gays have just had enough and want equality without any excuses.
SX news

No comments:

Post a Comment