Tuesday 1 May 2012

Life begins at 50

Dunno how true or not that is generally, but it feels great to be 50. It certainly would have an element of truth in my life. I dunno how the hell I got through my 40's. People say you're strong, courageous, brave. I'm none of those. People simply deal with issues as they come along. It's survival, not bravery.

Still suffering from the Slime disease, although it's finally abating. Got some even stronger stuff from the chemist to stop my nose running and the build up in my throat. This actually seems to be working with only taking the amount as instructed on the packet. So I haven't been out for a big piss up or anything. Ended up at the neighbours and had some beers, and decided to give work a miss today. As it's not actually part of my working week (Wed-Fri) I don't need a doctors cert or anything. Texted the dept head last night, "Not looking good for tomorrow", and he rang back straight away. They'd have rung the new agency guy to come in. 

Haven't had hardly anything to drink the last 2-3 weeks. So when I do I feel really affected. Seem to be losing the desire to drink all the time. Happy not to have a beer for days at the moment. Didn't feel hungover this morning but did sleep longer. So even though I lost count of the beers I can't have had many. Have lost a couple of kilos too, probably round the stomach from less beer. Is a lot easier too with money. Going to the pub all the time can send you broke rather quickly!

It was good to be sober through the whole experience of turning 50 thing. Like so much the effort my daughter made. Think she's just as happy as I am about getting this far. Her mother didn't quite make it dying a month before her 50th.

No comments:

Post a Comment