Tuesday 8 May 2012

Imagine

I gave up on the John Lennon thing many years ago, probably right after I heard it. He was talking about a world that wasn't ever going to happen. An imaginary world. I would like to think though that we can get further in individual societies.

I was sitting outside in Taylor Square this afternoon after the doctors, having some quiet beers on my own. It has been a lovely autumn day, with most drinkers at the Oxford Hotel sitting on the balcony outside. I'd just got another set of results of my CD4 count, which was only down a touch even after the Shingles and Slime disease of the past months, at 640. A very good result under the circumstances, particularly as I'm not on any HIV meds. I was feeling very pleased and relaxed, as everyone else there appeared to be. A bloke with an American accent passed us by, and was raving things. I thought he was joking or being sarcastic, maybe to somebody on the balcony. It was so weird. He walked past us all, and before any of us actually realised that he was a hateful nut, he'd gone (gutless). 

He called us evil or something like that, and polygamists. Polygamists? Where the fuck did that come from? To be a polygamist you have to be able to get married for a start, we can't (yet). And since when did the American definition of polygamy jump from Mormonism between men and women, to gays who can't even get married? Me and another bloke both told him to get fucked as he disappeared, and laughed that he was in fact gay. Probably had a boy on the side. Why else would someone hate us like that?

Must say it's the first time I've seen that here. Being a recent convert to my own sexuality I've not previously seen such sort of hatred directed specifically to me or the group I'm in. 

But just imagine.....

A society where the promise of heaven via religion didn't mean a denial of your sexuality.
It's easy if you try.......

A society where religious doctrine didn't dictate the social mores of the day.

Where it wasn't about tolerance, but acceptance.  

Where bigotry against people just because of who they are didn't exist.

Where people didn't hate us, for no fuckin reason other than their own self hatred.

Just imagine...

No comments:

Post a Comment