Wednesday 25 July 2012

Australian fuckin culture

Readers here may note my propensity to say "fuck" a lot. Um, it's just how I talk really. Unless I'm in a place where it's not appropriate (hardly ever) the fuck word is simply part of my speech. I suppose working 30 years in factories may have something to do with it. But even other than that, just in normal everyday life, in everyday conversation, fuck is used freely and without controversy.

Now I read it's apparently part of Australian culture. What the fuck? I knew we had some sort of culture in there somewhere. 

It's a long article but a really funny read if you're interested. 
Swearing has always been part of the Australian character. Think ''bloody'', the great Australian adjective. In a paper on swearing, Monash University's Kate Burridge and Keith Allan noted Australians have always regarded their colloquial idiom as being a significant part of their cultural identity.

''The standard language is more global in nature and many Australian English speakers see their colloquialisms, nicknames, diminutives, swearing, and insults to be important indicators of their Australianness and expressions of cherished ideals such as friendliness, nonchalance, mateship, egalitarianism, and anti-authoritarianism,'' they wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment