Wednesday 12 March 2014

"An open letter to Fred Nile" - Rant Mistress, England

OMG what a laugh. And from the other side of the bloody world to boot. Yes, Fred Nile has been so unpopular in modern culture that his infamy has gone all the way to mother England, clear on the ass end of the world (tongue in cheek there don't panic England). 

The Rant Mistress I'm an occasional visitor to her blog. I mean seriously, her blog is clear on the ass end of the world in England, about England and that. Imagine my shock in finding a Fred Nile article in that one. It's done in a very cool way though, in succinct encapsulation of the English language. Thus:
Congratulations on your marriage last December. I'm sure you had a lovely wedding day and, as someone who is also happily married, we can both agree that finding someone you love to share your life is a wonderful thing. It's just a shame that in your perfect world, you would not extend the right to such joy to same-sex couples. 

Whoops! Sorry! That was a bit crass of me, wasn't it? Did see what I so thoughtlessly did there? I used the example of your personal life to make a political point. I've never actually met you, save for the time I was on Sydney's Oxford Street with my family watching the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras back in 1992 and across the road, I spotted you and a few supporters trying to pray the gay away, but I figured I'd still use your personal situation to share my views on marriage equality. 

It's as rude as, oh, I dunno, using the suicide of Charlotte Dawson to hammer out an anti-abortion message, as you did, Fred. Perhaps obituary writers did not feel the need to mention the abortion she had in 1999 because she had already shared this story in her autobiography, or because her privacy had already been stripped away, partly by herself and partly by the media, or because of editorial word limits, or because, maybe, just maybe, the writers figured that an obituary might be a distasteful place to mention pregnancy termination. more
It's mainly about Charlotte Dawson's suicide and how Nile used his internet page (the day after she died) to declare that she killed herself because she had an abortion in 1999. Revolting at the very best of conversations.

Hats off to the Rant Mistress in England :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment