Tuesday 18 March 2014

Bug spray allergic reaction

So I spray some bug spray in the kitchen. We're nearly out so I found a nearly empty can still with some in. Being as the house is about 100 years old, it can have the odd problem with bugs and so you have to spray regularly under the fridge and the like to keep them at bay. The can of spray I found was all green and so I assume it's non-allergenic.

After spraying a little bit I start sneezing. A lot. One after the other, with fluid coming out. I'm thinking it's that bloody Fred Nile and his rain dance has given me a cold when I went to the march. But it wasn't like normal sneezes, but very intense and over and over.

David was asleep right at the other end of the house in the bedroom. I hear him start coughing. Then it goes on and on. Then he's up coughing his guts up into the toilet, and saying it was hard to breath. He reckoned he could smell the bit of spray I did in the kitchen all the way where he was. The house was shut so there was no breeze pushing the spray. I thought that he must be incredibly sensitive to the spray if that's what it was.

It goes on for about 20 minutes. He really coughs and all, but has run out of his allergy puffer thing. WTF? He's continues to gasp for air and I suggest an ambulance, which he doesn't want. Eventually he slowly settles down and is OK, whilst I proceed to throw out the rest of the spray that's left in the can. 

It's incredible that David could smell the spray and be affected by such a small amount sprayed, so far away from him. This is a part house, but we have the two bedroom bit, so our rented place goes right from one end of the big old house to the other. It's not just in the next room the bedroom, like in a unit. Between the kitchen and the bedroom are two completely separate rooms, and the front hallway as well. It's a long way for spray to go just carried by air particles and no breeze.

My little allergic sneezing reaction was very unusual for me too. It wasn't until after David's episode that I considered it might be an allergic reaction. Perhaps our hyper active immune systems are the culprit?   

No comments:

Post a Comment