Wednesday 12 March 2014

Scared at the bus stop

Earlier today David was off to work and I joined him on the short walk to the bus stop as I was walking up the road to the shops. 

When we're at home we have a big hug and pash as he leaves. We have this agreement that however long or short either of us go out the door, we will always kiss each other goodbye and not be angry about anything, as if something happens and the other carks it away from each other we won't be regretting that we didn't have that last kiss or be angry at each other.

So taday we go to the bus stop. There's only one person there. I expect David to stop in full view of the person at the bus stop and give me at least a kiss goodbye. He doesn't. Instead he walks further to the other end of the bus stop and kisses me out of sight of the one person there. 

Thinking about this I realise why. David has been out his whole life. In doing so he's had some pretty bad things happen to him. Threatened with violence on the street. The most particular thing he told me about that I remember was having one of his cats killed by a neighbour because he was gay.

I can't imagine.... Yet I'm the sort of person who (particularly in this day and age) will stand up and tell people to fuck off if they don't like who I am. I've never been in a situation where I was hurt so badly as David has been, simply because of my sexuality. 

David has. It's strange for me seeing this after spending much of my life in the straight world. David accepts that things will happen to him because he's gay, yes even in Sydney.

I do not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment