Tuesday 24 June 2014

Dr Oz a symptom of disease

People are suddenly going bananas about Dr Oz. It's being asserted that his promotion of dietary supplements is in fact a sham. 

We get the show here on that ghastly thing call day time telly. If you ever do happen to have the misfortune of being in front of the telly when it comes on, it's like a long infomercial. On the interest level it's well behind Dr Phil, and even follows The Doctors. The Doctors itself is bad, inciting such legendary boredom as to inspire such comments as "I'm so bored I'm watching The Doctors". But Dr Oz is in a class of it's own. The interest level is zero, and the boredom level extreme. Indeed I would rather watch a blank screen. Day time telly for me is like having my fingernails slowly pulled out. No wonder the internet is taking over.

Anyway, so it was no surprise to anyone really that Dr Oz has now been called out as an infomercial snake oil salesman. I mean why would it be a surprise? That's how the whole commercial system works; selling stuff.

This dietary supplement stuff however, in the US is highly unregulated and has certainly questionable outcomes. Even deaths caused by them.

I take Vitamin C is all. I dunno how much I need it or not other than they tell you to take Vitamin C in the winter to help your immune system. My personal opinion about supplements is that if you eat a balanced diet then you shouldn't need them. That they're for sick people, not healthy people who eat well. I mean seriously, would you rather have a steak or an iron tablet?

Here in Australia there's adds on the telly now, vitamin pills for kids designed as lollies for them to take. The first time I saw it my mouth fell open. FFS, do they know how stupid these adds sound to someone who grew up in a farming community in New Zealand? If the parents feel the need to give their kids vitamin pills in the rich suburbs of Sydney, then I think the parents need to take a good hard look at how well they're actually feeding them for them to require such pills.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment