Thursday 21 June 2012

Hat Trick

Can't sleep. Woke up about an hour ago and got to get up soon for work anyway. My head is in a bit of a whirl, can't stop thinking about things. 

Today is the last day of work, after 13 and a half years there. Although I'm very happy about getting the big redundancy payout, I do share in everyone's assessment of the decision; to close the dept and get rid of such experienced and skilled labour is an incredibly stupid one. Tomorrow they will be left with core machines that no one knows how to operate, but are still required as an integral part of operations. 

They've made this mistake there before, although not on such a grand scale as this. Recently they fired someone of over 30 years service in another dept than ours, only to have to bring him back the very next week as he was so needed for the work required. He's still there today. I however wouldn't ever go back after being treated like we have by management. It's not my problem any more, and I have too much self respect to go back to a place that thinks so little of it's workers.

I emailed the agency place last week to investigate if there's any work around through them, explaining that I'd only be interested in work near where I live and not full time. It was only through their web form, but surprisingly they emailed me straight away. Have been pestering me to ring them for 3 emails now, yesterday they sent two emails wanting me to call. Could these people actually appreciate my years of experience and skill in the industry?

I have emailed back apologising for the delay, but that it's been full on the last few days and quite stressful at work. Promised to ring them this morning from work. Ugh, I dunno if I even feel like working right now, but oh I guess it would be nice to work somewhere fresh, in different places if I'm needed. Don't think I could face getting another permanent job right now. Too much responsibility and expectations. Like having to get up every day to get there, am just so over it. But this is of course another option to consider.

This job is the third one in a row where the management has fucked up so badly the job has ended. In Cricket terms (for the Americans) that's called a "Hat Trick"; where the bowler gets three batsmen out from 3 balls in a row. This hat trick has taken 28 years to accomplish, but I got there in the end! Three jobs in a row.

We're going to have a few beers after work in a local pub. Some of these guys don't even hardly drink, but are turning up anyway. Such is the sentiment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment