Thursday 14 June 2012

$36,000 work windfall!

This is life changing.

Today near the end of the shift, our entire dept got called into the office for a special meeting. I get so bored with office meetings, but this one felt different and exciting from the start.

The boss guy came in and went through a power point presentation projected onto the wall. In it was a general thing about this and that, and in the end was the announcement that our entire dept was being made redundant. They were from here on going to outsource the work due to the competitive nature of the industry now, with printing companies going broke left right and centre as technology changes.

Of course that means that will have no control over quality like they do now, and in my view is a short term decision for short term profits, but hey all I could think of was how lucky I was!

As I've been there for 13 years, and as the union over those years has negotiated a very good redundancy deal, I immediately started salivating about how much I was going to get. They handed out individual envelopes to each of us with an estimate of each of ours pay out. 

I opened mine later after leaving for home. There is of course the 13 weeks service of redundancy, being at 44 weeks pay. Also an extra week of notice because I'm over 45, on top of the 4 weeks notice required. Also an extra 25% on the redundancy payment as I'm over 45 years old. The redundancy payment also doesn't get any tax at all as it's exempt from it being redundancy money. And so the grand total of my work windfall is:

I walked out of that meeting happier than I've been in years. Not only is all my debt about to be cancelled, I'm also getting $36,000 into my hand next month.

I think I've gone into some kind of orgasmic shock. I did have hopes for my 50's after the train wreck 40's, but this shit is beyond my wildest dreams. Suddenly I have options, and life isn't about work anymore. 

I've already decided to go up to Lightning Ridge and spend time with Simon there. With money I can set up a wireless internet connection with him and blog from there. And I was getting worried actually as we are so close this visit, and what it might be like without him. We've fallen into a way of sleeping together for example that's just so natural and lovely; either I lie with my ass next to his dick, or the other way around. Both involves love and closeness.

It also cost bugger all up there. No rent, no electricity bill as he's solar. The money I'm getting would last for years and years up there. I do hope it's the end of work for me. Hey, they retire at 50 in Greece right? It's just that they have to pay debts that the problem! 

No comments:

Post a Comment