Saturday 23 June 2012

Hyde Park Barracks, our convict history

When I was walking back to the bus after visiting my neighbour in Sydney Hospital, I noticed this:

Hadn't heard much about this place at all. Was free to go in to the museum and I had plenty of time, so I did. Knew nothing about it. Turns out it was built about 200 years ago to house convicts. Must have been a horrible life for them back then.

A lash thing that was punishment. They used it on their backs:

Irons, I guess as punishment? And tools I suppose they used when working: 

The corridor on the top floor, with all the original floorboards. They look polished now, but I imagine they'd not have been 200 years ago.

This was pretty freaky. This was their sleeping quarters; fuckin hammocks. My back hurts just looking at that. Imagine living like that? These people were sent over from Britain because they were running out of room in their jails, sometimes for the smallest of crimes. And this is were they ended up. Just looking at that was rather moving.

What I found most interesting was this sign thing. It was in another room of sleeping hammocks, but all darkened like at night. My mouth dropped open reading the last paragraph. You know it just goes to show that gays have been and always will be part of humanity:

No comments:

Post a Comment