Tuesday 26 June 2012

Gov guaranteed

Feeling a bit crook today. Sorta got a bit carried away yesterday afternoon with a few beers. 

Went to see my neighbour in hospital, and it turned out he was going home shortly after I got there. Neither of us are very familiar with that part of the city so I walked with him to show where the bus stop was to get home. Think he's pretty shaken up by the whole experience. He's the only person I've ever seen myself that has gone into a full on psychosis from alcohol; actually seeing things not there, people not there, hearing voices, must have been a scary thing for him. I suppose his body reached a point where it just couldn't clear the alcohol any more and every drink just added to it. His liver is apparently fucked up badly. He had to go back today to get an ultrasound done of it. He's not drinking he says now for 3 months. I was surprised that he was going to do it. I'd say the doctors must have told him exactly how bad things were. 

Rang Australian Super this morning to see what was happening with the payout I'm getting from them. The forms and everything have been checked and it's all ready to go the guy said, it just has to be processed by the Benefits dept. Said it should be done by Friday. I will of course believe it when I see it, so long this has taken. The guy on the phone couldn't believe how long it had taken the DHS's in Canberra to process the claim (since Jan). Once I get the money I have to contact the $guru so he can direct it to the correct dept he's been dealing with at the banks. 

I also thought it a good idea to open an online account, a simple thing just do it all on the PC. Transferred a few $ to it to activate the account, and will put what's left over after paying my debts into it. It's accessible being linked to my normal account with another bank, and you just transfer money back and forth whenever you want. They have a special on at the moment for new customers, 5.6% for the first 4 months. That's alright, probably better than what my Super fund is currently doing.

I was a bit worried about going with the particular bank I chose as it's a foreign one and with the way things are going overseas......   But they've thought of that it seems, with a bit of info about the gov arrangements here with banks; that certain accounts are guaranteed by the gov for up to $250,000. I remember they did that when the GFC struck.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment