Wednesday 20 June 2012

Fuck them

Latest on the work thing.

I was rung yesterday by the immediate supervisor (the only manager person to survive the chop) saying she had some "bad news". she went on to say that all of those made redundant were finishing up on Thursday (tomorrow now). I was bursting with glee, but her the poor dear was nearly in tears. I dunno what all that means.

So I get to work today and get told also that we're getting 3 more weeks pay, as the estimate the other day was assuming that we'd all work through the 1 month notice. Now that it's only been a week and we're getting fucked off out the door, they have to include those 3 weeks as added to the final payment. Very good, and getting very bloody close to an in the hand $40,000 payout now. Tomorrow after the days work at 3pm, we will be getting our stuff and handing in our magic cards that open the doors and let us into the place.

I did get a bit pissed off today however. There was a procession around the machines of a boss and the head engineer, that it appeared were no longer going to be able to operate properly as no trained staff would be on the premises to do so. In particular my guillotine. I tried to explain that what they were attempting to do was operate this machine without an apprenticeship and my 30 years experience in the industry.

I was asked "so how hard is it to put a programme into this?" I said that they'd have to get Heidelberg out to train someone as I was officially redundant and wasn't needed any more. They wanted to look at the existing programmes on the machine, which I showed them. They had no concept though that these programmes were a thing in evolution and that you had to be able to set one up with a trades knowledge in the industry to take charge of all that. I was also insulted that my 13 years in the place, along with my 30 years industry experience, they appeared to think could be replaced by some dumb fuck who just pressed buttons with some sort of computer knowledge.

Out of about 100 programmes on the machine, there will be only one left when I leave tomorrow; the one currently being used. I'm happy to get the redundancy money, but I'm not going to be insulted like that. The non used for years instruction manual has also gone. To train someone using Heidelberg, they charge I'm told about $200 an hour. Or if they have to rely on agency people, they're about $60 an hour that the place gets charged. Much more than my $26 an hour.

But fuck them. I'm taking the money and running. These dumb fucks can sleep in the bed they've made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment