Friday 22 June 2012

Life between jobs

It all ended at work yesterday with a bit of a fizzle. We went and had a couple of beers at a local pub and then went back to wait for the last bit to do with the Human Services lady. Think the plan had been for her to come downstairs at 3pm and do it all with us, but by 2 we'd all had enough. Nobody was working and we'd all stopped and were just waiting, so we went up to see her in her office. We signed a few things, handed in our swipe cards and locker keys, and were handed the envelope. That was it. Nobody much felt like going for another drink as many had to drive and we weren't in the mood anyway.

My final total was a little under $38,000 net. I did ask about if it could at least have been worked out on a 4 day week as I was about to go to that anyway, but of course it had to be on "current circumstances". I wasn't pissed off or anything though, I mean considering the last 2 years in the place and the fact that last year I very nearly got the boot, and nearly chucked it myself too, anything now is a bonus. I'd have walked out with fuck all. This with the redundancy is the best way to leave. We were told the money would go into our accounts about the middle of next week.

Phoned the guy from the agency yesterday who'd been emailing me to ring. He seemed very easy going and no worries to get along with. Turns out he's the guy they ring at work to get the casuals in; the ones that have been working the other two days Monday and Tuesday when I wasn't there. He said to send a resume so as to make it easier to place me around the companies he supplies. Resume? What the fuck is that? After 13 years I'm right out of practice at getting a job. Anyway he's emailed an example of one that looks pretty easy to fill out. He rang my supervisor and had a chat to her as well to check me out. She's who I'll be using for a phone reference in the future.

Anyway he texted me this morning asking if I could work today. Fuck, just couldn't face it today. Told him was hung over and half pissed still, he was fine with that. Wow, wasn't expecting that at all. Thought a bit of casual work might out  here and there, but I wasn't expecting to be asked to work the first bloody day! He'd had a late cancellation from one of his other blokes.

Simon went back to Lightning Ridge on Wednesday evening. He drives later as the traffic is lighter. The bed feels a bit vacant without him. Will see about going up there for a couple of weeks next month, would be good to get out of Sydney after all of thiese dramatics of late.



No comments:

Post a Comment