Wednesday 26 October 2011

A strange disclosure

Still in sort of shock at yesterdays HIV blood results. Just can't believe it at all, but I guess numbers don't lie. A 740 CD4 count is great if you're on medication. But to not be on any HIV medication at all and have a result like that is for me beyond comprehension. I dunno WTF is going on, other than I'm eating blueberries. There is no other possible thing that may be involved, apart from possibly extremely good genetics? This is what my HIV doctor told me yesterday; that it was my genetics. 

I very much doubt that. I'm going on my experience in the past without meds, and the CD4 count never got over 590; the highest reading. Now with eating blueberries I've had two results in the 600's, and this last one in the 700's. Blueberries darlings, frozen or fresh. Give them a try. If they do nothing else they're good for a snack that settles your stomach.


Had quite the bizarre disclosure today. It was at the bank. I went in there to give them the story that I was in financial dire straights and that I needed some sort of stay on my repayments for about 3 months. The plan being that I was investigating my options and was seeing if I could access my Superannuation to pay my debts. 

It turns out my Mastercard of about 10,000 debt I think, has insurance on it. I need to ring the insurance people to see if they can do anything for me with that. The personal loan they will cancel the auto payments on it as I said I can't pay it and need the money to live. This is all in view of me sorting things out with my Super. In fact I need to exhaust that Super option first before the bank will give me any help at all under "financial hardship". I didn't even know the bank would do that. I just thought they were waiting there with a cat-o-nine-tails if you missed paying the slightest cent. Plus I've been with this bank for nearly 30 years now, I suppose a bit of help after all my loyalty to them over the decades isn't too far out there.

So anyway near the end of the conversation, they ask me why (after keeping all my accounts in good order over many years) it was in fact now that I couldn't pay. I paused, wondering at exactly what to say.

I said it was because of illness, and I'd been reduced to only 3 days work a week.

They asked if the illness was short term, and if so when it might end.

I said "No it's long term. I'm HIV positive".

Long pause. I wait for the shock to sink in.
Ooookkkaaayyyy.... Followed by incredible geniality. 

In the end a very reasonable result from the bank, and it's excellent to know I have actually more options if I exhaust the Super payment thing and get knocked back with it. The lady there wished me good luck for the future as I left.

I wasn't planning on this disclosure. But in the end it was necessary to relate to the bank exactly my predicament.

There's another bank I have an 8,000 gold visa with that I can't pay even the minimum payment, even though it's zero interest. Looks like they're next. You know I hate to say it, but realistically divulging your HIV status sometimes really helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment