Thursday 15 March 2012

Death in the family

Bye puss


I'm thinking maybe I should have trusted my farm judgement and had her put down at the vets the other day. But by the body language she died very peacefully and happy in familiar surroundings. I myself know how terrible it is to be sick in a horrible hospital setting where all you want to do is go home. She was home and died happily, lying on her side with her front paws folded. She looked completely relaxed. 

Of course both of us are upset. She had started eating and drinking on her own this morning when we both left for work so we thought this meant she was going to make it. But that's how it works with both humans and animals; they get better and seem OK before they die. We got home about the same time and my daughter noticed blood on the floor. I couldn't remember if it was from the other day or not. She was under the lounge as I looked just a bit earlier and thought she was asleep. After the blood sighting I pulled the lounge back to have a look, she looked happy. I gave her a pat on the head and instantly felt rigor mortise. Said "I've got some bad news"..... 

In hindsight you always think of something better you could have done. But I did my best eh. In the end I'm glad she died at home and not in a pet hospital. She knew she was loved until the end.

Wrapped the body up in a towel and put it in a bag, took it to the vet and they will dispose of the body in the appropriate manner. 

 

2 comments:

  1. Hugs to you both. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no..... i'm so sorry for your loss. but she is painfree now and i'm sure she is playing in the pet heaven with other animals.
    hugs
    jade

    ReplyDelete