Sunday 11 March 2012

May have to put down puss

Daughter was busy so had to take puss round to the vet by foot. Wasn't so bad, just sort of leaned the carrier into my leg. Is more awkward than heavy. Vet got me in just after 5. Spent about 15 minutes examining her but couldn't find anything specifically wrong with her, but did want to hospitalize her. Way too much money, was gonna be about $500 altogether for overnight and all. On top of what it cost me today, $380 (there goes the overtime). I had to put the lid on the cost somewhere. She asked me if I had pet insurance, I nearly laughed. "No, I don't even have human insurance." Jokingly asked if I could put the cat on my Medicare card and get it bulk billed.

So they took some blood (a big part of today's cost) to get tests done. Will ring me tomorrow afternoon with the results. They have to send it out and of course there's no pickup on Sundays. Gave her a slow release antibiotic in case of infection, although she had no temp. Plus something for pain in case she was sore. Told me to keep a close eye on her overnight.

They rang just after I got home and they'd done a preliminary blood test on the vet premises already, and she's very anemic. Dangerously so in fact. Said again she'd want to admit it, but I just said that this was the best I could do. Most people around here are well off so I guess it's surprising for them to come across someone like me short on money like that. Said again to keep a very close eye on her overnight, and bring her in in the morning if she went downhill.

If it's going to be any sort of major procedure or operation involved I'll have no choice but to put her down. She's been a wonderful pet for the time we've had her, but I just haven't got the money to keep her going if it's going to be big bucks. It's upsetting but well that's just life isn't it. Growing up on a farm you get to know about animals and death. Daughter is a bit upset but she does understand.  

1 comment:

  1. hi peter,
    i'm so sorry to hear about your cat. that really is a part of the life isn't it? i really hope she is not too too sick. and i really hope she is not in a deep pain. keep us posted.
    jade

    ReplyDelete